Saturday, April 23, 2011

Best kept secret unleashed...

A lot of people ask me when and how I started painting Pittsburgh. I can not believe it was so long ago now -- September 1989.

When I was a very young girl, I loved to draw people's faces. There was something about the eyes that spoke to me. Some people say the eyes are the mirror of the soul. I loved drawing portraits, being quiet and shy, it was my way of communicating with those I loved. All I knew at the time was whenever I gifted someone with a portrait, they would smile and be happy. The feeling of making someone happy made me want to do another portrait and another.

As I grew older, people would give me tips for painting their families and friends. After I married my wonderful husband Tom, those dollars would help pay for something for our apartment or to go away.

I had made a relationship with the owner of Kustom Korner Gallery and would sit in front of the store and paint portraits. She would mat and frame them. One day, her husband asked if I would paint a streetcar in a downtown scene. He said even if he didn't think it would sell, he would put the original in the window of the gallery after it was done.

I decided on painting the corner of Kaufmann's because it was my old bus stop and being fairly new to Pittsburgh, I was realizing for generations everyone met under the Kaufmann's Clock.

The best kept secret?

I had never painted a building in my life.

People many, but buildings, not a one. Fortunately for me, I lived next door to my first mentor, Gary Dimmick ( he was passed on to Glory at the young age of 49). Gary would spend hours with me teaching me perspective, so that Kaufmann's wouldn't look like it was falling down. He was a great teacher, and I am happy to say I now have over 50 pieces in print.

I love painting memories of Pittsburgh and now across country. I am very blest to still hear stories of how my work has made someone happy.

I would love to hear your story of a place that I have painted and what makes it special for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment