Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 4 Discovering Pensylvania's Route 6

Avrgarden was amazing. 

Let me tell you more.

We were on our way to Wellsboro and there was a lot to be excited about. I was finally going to meet Malerie Yolen-Cohen, a freelance writer who has written for many magazines including National Geographic. She is currently on a 6 week trip across the United States documenting the many fascinating people and places found along on Route 6. Her blog, entitled “Stay on Route 6,” is a most enjoyable read and well worth a look. 

Our paths were to cross in Wellsboro and we were going to meet for dinner at a wonderful restaurant called “Timeless Destination.”  As luck would have it, this fine eatery was hosting volunteers from the American Cancer Society as servers, with all tips being donated to the Relay for Life. It was a great night to be there.

Prior to that we needed to check into a special place called Arvgarden, a 130 acre Swedish sheep farm that’s also a B&B. 


 
It was at the top of the hill high above Wellsboro and we were delighted by the view, not to mention our charming hosts. To give you a taste of the environs I have posted the photos on my Facebook. 

Before dinner I walked as far as I could on the property taking photos of its beauty. Innkeepers Hilma and Keith were simply wonderful to talk to. Hilma certainly knew how to be creative in the kitchen. Some of our breakfast was actually grown on their farm (no, we didn’t have sheep sausage).

Arvgarden was also where I began my first actual painting. Keith and Hilma were very generous to allow me to paint from their back porch overlooking a very long, expansive view from their home.

Dinner with Malerie that evening was fascinating. We seemed to be kindred spirits as she found meaningful many of the same things I did in our mutual journeys across Route 6.  We had great food and conversation all evening.

Late that night we had a chance to feel what it was like being on top of a mountain in a severe storm. Lightening, thunder and the high winds made us feel like we were going to fly across the sky! However, I have a feeling this was just a  mild example of the winds and storms they get regularly up on this mountain.

Tomorrow we head back to Pittsburgh so Tom can catch up on his work and prepare to preach at Monroeville United Methodist Church and I can start laying out what I want to paint next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment