Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Discovering Pennsylvania's Route 6 Artisan Trail - First Day Out

The weather was rainy, but it did not diffuse the excitement of hopping into our gas efficient Camry hybrid and heading north to Meadville. After a long morning in which we finished up some work and packed, we finally headed out having no clue where the day was going to lead nor where we were going to sleep.

We passed Grove City and I quietly waved as we whizzed past the exit for Wendall August Forge. I definitely have a warm spot in my heart for that company, no wait, it's more like a family, who have embraced my work and have created beautiful metal ornaments of my artwork.

As we entered Meadville's Market House I felt as if I was walking back into a simplier time. It was a wonderful collection of artist's work, gifts that were extrodinary, and foods and soaps that were created with health in mind.

As Tom looked at boxes of old records and I purchased a couple bottles of locally-produced pop,  I heard a familiar voice draw me from my thoughts.

George Nowack was teasing Tom from across the room. Yes, he is the one who started all this artistic exploration several months ago and now we were on the first leg of  our magnificient journey. We had fun photographing the Market House as Tom and George posed near a lovely maple tree in front of the store.

Since I can't make it to Meadville next month, George promises to take pictures of the produce stands and customers during their Second Saturday Marketplace, a monthly event which captures the nostalgic flavor of an earlier day and anticipates a rekindled community experience for the future.

Next we took off to the Baldwin-Reynolds Mansion. What a beautiful grand home with tons of history. In the front  of this structure, built in 1867, there is a beautiful view of the home rising from behind a stand of trees and a darling pond with a fountain. It was striking as I looked up from it. We had to soon part ways as Tom and I headed east to Seagertown.

As we past through Seagertown, a quick-flowing French Creek caught our eye. Situated to our left, I couldn't help stopping by an old metal bridge with a wooden deck that crossed the creek. Grasping my trusty (and complicated) digital camera, I took several photos of the trees dipping into the water downstream, just before the creek forked and created a lovely island in the stream.

Cambridge Springs was next with it's Main Street and the well-worn but much-loved train depot. Sadly, we were on the other side of town when we had to stop for the train to pass and missed being at the depot for a "Kodak moment." Ahh, another day perhaps.

We ended our day at a lovely B&B just off Rt. 6 in Elgin - the Three Gables Inn. Innkeeper Peggy Paul was a wonderful hostess and truely a rennaisance woman. So full of information from her many world-travels and experiences, she delighted us with her conversation and inquisitive manner, re-energizing the weary travelers before her.  Her stately Victorian home was actually purchased in 1895 from a Sears Catalog. It was strikingly beautiful and adorned with many gorgeous antiques and exquisite artwork.

So far, it's been quite a trip.  I can't wait to see what today has in store for us!

Follow me and my chauffer, Tom, during our trip and see what adventures we discover on PA Route 6's Artisan Trail!

No comments:

Post a Comment