Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 6 Discovering Pennsylvania's Route 6 - Painting day!

Today was the day!

I started painting in Meadville at the historic Market House! 

Tom and I arrived at 10 a.m. and started unpacking my mountain of art supplies. As if to reinforce our “peddler appearance” the first person passing by asked what we were selling. Well, that was the start of a day full of observer’s stopping by - painters, musicians, photographers and folks just interested in what was going on. George met us and introduced us to a delightful pair - Alice who ran the Market House and Cindy who owned the Market House Grill. There was a palpable excitement in the air.

I started with a sketch I actually developed at home from last week’s photo shoot. Once I set up my pastels I painted a watercolor “under painting” to set the values. One of the nearby business residents, Curt, stopped by and expressed his thoughts on his location on the street and how he is hoping for a renaissance in this part of Meadville. He became one of my favorite people to talk to. During his lunch break on this 90 degree day, he brought Tom and me wonderfully cold Frosties from Wendy’s. Very refreshing! 



As I was painting with my favorite medium, pastel, a woman named Harmony from the Meadville Tribune came by to interview me and photograph my work. She was a creative, resourceful woman who acquires more than just an image with her photography. She’s skilled at capturing the essence and heart of what’s before her.

As the day heated up we had a visit from Alice letting us know of a local farmer who came by the Market House with samples of her home made cheeses. Let me tell you, we will be stopping in Meadville on the way home to buy some and take it back to Monroeville! Also, the Market House Grill featured homemade macaroni and cheese for lunch. Tears of joy welled up in Tom‘s eyes as he savored every bite. Personally, it brought back many childhood memories for me too - it was so much like my Mom’s cooking. Great!

Later in the day, we moved on to the Baldwin-Reynolds Mansion, a historic, palatial home, built around the time of the Civil War, and situated on a hill as if surveying all before it. The lighting was perfect. I went to work as fast as I could to catch the fleeting moment of exquisite sunlight while taking photos as well for reference later. I know this will be one of my favorite pieces. I started to overlay the sketch with a pastel “under painting” and then moved right into the painting process.

We had visitors all evening long. Three boys saw me working and stopped by. These teens, Greg, Chris and Terry, were a pleasure to talk with, each having a special creative interest. Chris was a young fellow artist and Terry a young writer. Greg, the youngest, was the quietest, but you just knew he had a special spirit within him.

As they wandered away. they made me think. There is something great about youth and it’s optimistic outlook toward life, with so many possibilities yet to be, unaltered by the complexity and compromise of adulthood. Dreams are so very real to the young and I appreciate dreamers.
Later, George and Carolyn showed up to check out my progress and we ended the evening with wonderful conversation about this project.

Well, I am off to the town of Corry tomorrow. I am really excited to paint a very special lake and footbridge in Mead Park. Stay tuned….

No comments:

Post a Comment